There are certain principles that govern the fundamentals behind effective marketing. Whether you are marketing in the real world or online to people all over the world, the fact remains that we are marketing to humans and humans perceive branding in distinct ways. Even though the book was published over 20 years ago, The 22 Immutable Laws Of Marketing by Al Ries & Jack Trout is still a perfect anthology of marketing theorems which would behoove every entrepreneur to know and follow. When it comes to understanding people and how they make purchasing decisions then it would make a lot of sense to take a look at this book.
“The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing is the best book on marketing I’ve ever read” – Lowell Weicker
In staying within the guidelines of good marketing, it is possible to position your product or brand as a dominant player in a new area. It doesn’t take millions of dollars in advertising to spread your message to your audience. The effectiveness of good marketing is understated and when done correctly can reap immense rewards in the eyes of the public perception. Keep within these guidelines and your product is on the path to success.
Here they are… in condensed form.
The 22 Immutable Laws Of Marketing
- The Law of Leadership – First to Market
- The Law of the Category – First to Category
- The Law of the Mind – First to Mind
- The Law of Perception – Perception of your brand
- The Law of Focus – Owning a word
- The Law of Exclusivity – There is one person who can own a word
- The Law of the Ladder – There are clear hierarchies
- The Law of Duality – Every market eventually becomes a two horse race
- The Law of the Opposite – Opposite strategy from the leader
- The Law of Division – A category will become smaller categories
- The Law of Perspective – Marketing over time
- The Law of Line Extension – Line extension dilutes a brand
- The Law of Sacrifice – Giving up a large category for a specific niche
- The Law of Attributes – For every attribute there is an opposite and effective attribute
- The Law of Candor – By admitting negatives you will get a positive
- The Law of Singularity – In each situation, there is one move that will produce substantial results
- The Law of Unpredictability – No one is able to predict the future
- The Law of Success – Success often leads to arrogance, and arrogance leads to failure
- The Law of Failure – Failure is to be expected and accepted
- The Law of Hype – The press will oftentimes report the opposite of the truthful situation
- The Law of Acceleration – Successful programs are not built on fads, they’re built on trends
- The Law of Resources – Without adequate funding an idea won’t get off the ground
Violate Them At Your Own Risk!
The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk!
There are laws of nature, so why shouldn't there be laws of marketing? As Al Ries and Jack Trout—the world-renowned marketing consultants and bestselling authors of Positioning—note, you can build an impressive airplane, but it will never leave the ground if you ignore the laws of physics, especi...
There are laws of nature, so why shouldn’t there be laws of marketing?
As Al Ries and Jack Trout—the world-renowned marketing consultants and bestselling authors of Positioning—note, you can build an impressive airplane, but it will never leave the ground if you ignore the laws of physics, especially gravity. Why then, they ask, shouldn’t there also be laws of marketing that must be followed to launch and maintain winning brands? In The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing, Ries and Trout offer a compendium of twenty-two innovative rules for understanding and succeeding in the international marketplace. From the Law of Leadership, to The Law of the Category, to The Law of the Mind, these valuable insights stand the test of time and present a clear path to successful products. Violate them at your own risk.
(Disclaimer: Affiliate Link)
This is a book every marketer should pick up. While it doesn’t go through any strategies or specific methods, just knowing the fundamentals of effective marketing will be essential to your success. Following the principles should bring you further along than most. Every entrepreneur should, at the very least, be aware of these laws of marketing and experiment with them in their branding.